Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Post 2

Since the last post we have played a game, read an article, drawn, and watched half a movie. We played a form of Pictionary which was very interesting. We were asked to write ideas on paper which we thought would make good art pieces, unknown to us the intentions of these ideas. Then as the game played out it was interesting how ideas we thought would make good art turned out to be so hard to draw and depict. For example, how do you depict "Sarah Palin", well I tried to draw Alaska and a woman's face but my partners just could not figure out what my topic was. Not only was it hard to depict with a simple pen and paper but with out words or voices it was hard for the viewers to figure out what our lines and figures meant. This theme of drawing simple pieces of art continued when we were asked to draw out first memory. I feel like the over all composure of the image reflected the memory itself. For those who had a vague and blurry memory their drawing reflected that and was also blurry and vague. then those, like me, who had a very distinct first memory, their drawings were specific and crisp. My memory was of sliding into my refrigerator at age five and slicing my head open. I drew everything I remembered from that memory: a fridge, dog, rain, the floor, and my head now scarred. Last class we then were asked in a moments notice to draw how we got to class. People like always interpreted this in different ways. Aaron took a broad view and drew a stork whereas I drew my shoe, and most drew a map like scenery of where the traveled on the way to Montey. I took from this past weeks classes that everyone interprets things differently. Many people are given the same topic yet they see it in all different lights.

The reading Time 2 kind of confused me and I did not like it too much, the first reading was far more entertaining. Although much like the first reading they refer to animals and their senses. In this reading it says: "wheres animals inherit various particular patterns of sensory awareness". Also saying how these are "releasers because they automatically initiate specific types of action" and how man must learn from experience. I think animals learn from experience too it is not all habit and nature. An animal learns that if they go hunting at a specific time they will be successful. They can learn how to obtain food and where to move too in times of need to survive. Also throughout our discussion on this reading we talked about whether animals have a sense of time. I think they do, even though it can be argued that animal migration is all mother nature and that they cannot control or learn the timing, I think this is false. For example, even though by innate nature Canadian geese will migrate south for the winter and they know exactly what time to leave. Well in the Eastern Shore of Maryland some of the geese never leave. They have somehow learned that they do not need to leave, the winters are not harsh enough, and when that nature calling to migrate goes off in their head, they don't go. The timing may be right but they have the senses to know not to go. The reading then touched on this idea that we observe everything and its just whether we remember it or not, and whether we key into everything or just specifics. "We recall best those thoughts that are connected with our special interests" by human nature I think this is true. I know speaking for myself when reading or listening to a professor lecture, I will remember something very clear if I like it and take interest in it, but if I don't take interest in it I will not remember.

I want to learn more about how others perceive nature and animals' sense of time. I take a lot of interest in animals and in nature. I watch them a lot and observe their motions through life. I feel as if a lot of people view them as lesser species then the superior human race but they take it to a level that degrades them and makes them seem unaware of their surroundings. I have grown up with all different kinds of pets and I see how they react in time and to changes in their lives. I just want to learn more about time in respects to nature. Maybe how remote places perceive time...?

No comments:

Post a Comment